The cycle of life
The oft rescheduled Baby Shower was supposed to be held last Sunday. A friend who lived close to me was supposed to pick me up and drive us both there and as the appointed time approached I got ready and waited for her.
And waited & waited.
I just assumed that as a typical Somali...she was late. However, after half an hour passed...I knew that wasn't like her and went to see my Mom...who had a sorrowful look on her face as she was getting off the phone. She told me that my friend's favourite uncle...the one who lived with her for some time...and that she just visited only 3 weeks ago was murdered. Shot and left to die in cold blood.
I was shocked.
Even though I didn't know him, I remembered seeing him a year ago coming out of the Masjid with his young wife and 1 year old son. I looked at them and thought 'they must be the cutest family ever'. He was only 27 years old; married just three years with two children under two. What kind of a monster does that? It's so sad that his young life was cut short...and I cannot imagine what his wife is going through right now. Not to mention his children - losing their father before even getting to know him.
I went to her house and kept her company. Just a few minutes before I was preparing to celebrate the beautiful, miraculous beginning of a new life...and now I was quietly mourning the violent passing of another. It was very awkward...what do you say to a grieving person after a death? I was at loss for what to say for words seemed inadequate.
No amount of tears, pleadings and promises to God will bring him back. What he needs from all of us...the only thing that we can do for him now and is more precious to him than the whole world is our prayers. Please pray for him and his family.
And waited & waited.
I just assumed that as a typical Somali...she was late. However, after half an hour passed...I knew that wasn't like her and went to see my Mom...who had a sorrowful look on her face as she was getting off the phone. She told me that my friend's favourite uncle...the one who lived with her for some time...and that she just visited only 3 weeks ago was murdered. Shot and left to die in cold blood.
I was shocked.
Even though I didn't know him, I remembered seeing him a year ago coming out of the Masjid with his young wife and 1 year old son. I looked at them and thought 'they must be the cutest family ever'. He was only 27 years old; married just three years with two children under two. What kind of a monster does that? It's so sad that his young life was cut short...and I cannot imagine what his wife is going through right now. Not to mention his children - losing their father before even getting to know him.
I went to her house and kept her company. Just a few minutes before I was preparing to celebrate the beautiful, miraculous beginning of a new life...and now I was quietly mourning the violent passing of another. It was very awkward...what do you say to a grieving person after a death? I was at loss for what to say for words seemed inadequate.
No amount of tears, pleadings and promises to God will bring him back. What he needs from all of us...the only thing that we can do for him now and is more precious to him than the whole world is our prayers. Please pray for him and his family.
5 Comments:
At September 5, 2007 at 10:52 p.m. ,
Anonymous said...
i still cant believe i just saw da guy just 2 weeks ago. i used to see him around every sat at dugsi growin up. damn, wow. and wat about H?? has ne1 gone to see how her and her famz r doing? the other guy was her uncle. 2 young guys gone, just like that, and a young famz shattered.
At September 6, 2007 at 12:38 a.m. ,
AMTAF! said...
Ina lillah wa inna ilayh raji3oun. Allah Yer7amou.
My deepest condolences. What a sad tragedy.
At September 6, 2007 at 1:51 a.m. ,
Anonymous said...
To be taken away like that...its soo sad and beyond terrible. These days, that can happen to pretty much to anyone one of us as gun and knife crime becomes more prevalent.
Soo sad but thank God we are Muslims, otherwise where else would you get the strength and acceptance from? My prayers are with them all.
At September 6, 2007 at 1:48 p.m. ,
Lonesome Dreamer said...
Queen; No haven't yet. Too embarassed about not speaking to her earlier...I plain forgot...focusing on S. I will though inshaAllah.
Amtaf & Fefe; Thanks.
At September 7, 2007 at 6:00 a.m. ,
Anonymous said...
My heartfelt condolences to the young man's family. May he fare better in heaven than he did on earth.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home