Musings of a Lonesome Dreamer

I can show you morning on a thousand hills...

Friday, May 9, 2008

Between class reflections

So, this week I started my third semester of nursing. After this semester I would be finishing my first year --- partly exciting and party CRAZY that time is moving so fast (I've said this point too many annoying times but it's still amazes me the rate that time flies). I've already had my orientation at the hospital I would be doing my clinical for the next four months and again this semester I would be working with the elderly. It's makes me really sad to work with them --- it's like they have reverted back to the baby stage. Some are completely dependent on other for feeding, changing, showering, toileting, turning, moving etc. My heart breaks for them and it makes me really sad to know that these people who were at one time at the peak of the physical lives are reduced to this --- helpless and dependent on others for the most basic of things.

I've witnessed some really sub-standard care being given to them and it makes me examine my own care and try to be better and more aware of my actions. I try to remember that if I live long enough it would be me in that situation and I would want a nurse who genuinely likes her job and treats me with respect and dignity. Most of the patients are frail, old, bed bound and with communication/sight/hearing problems and so desperate for attention.

I now understand when my mother used to pray that Allah takes her before she is old enough to be dependent on others for her care. It's really a sad situation to be in.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home