Why is it that...
- Why is it that I have read hundreds of books, many over 300-500 pages, yet I have never in my life finished the most important book ever: the Holy Qu'ran.
- Why is it that I can stay up for hours watching TV or reading a good book but get sleepy the minute I open the Qur'an or Hadith books?
- Why is it that I get annoyed when someone talks while I'm watching a movie yet talk through the Khutbah?
- Why is it that I get up 30 minutes early as not to be late for school or my job - yet always get up grudgingly for Fajr prayer (when I do that is)?
- Why is is that I hardly ever question the things in science books, newspaper, magazines, & stories from friends & family yet argue about Islamic matters of which I have no knowledge of?
- Why is it that I get embarrassed when someone (even a stranger) sees me doing something stupid or wrong yet have no feelings when I do sins while Allah & his angels are watching & recording?
- Why is it that I feel horrible when I break a promise to a friend or family or acquaintance yet break promises I made to Allah left and right & offer up excuses?
- Why is it that I get mad & yell at my siblings for doing things that I do myself?!
- Why is it that I tell people things or give them advice that I don't follow?
- Why is it important for me to impress people and not Allah?
- Why do I care more about this world when in the hereafter Allah will not ask me what movies I watched, what books I've read, & what kind of degree I've earned?
- Why is it that I spend hours on TV and Computer yet feel I'm wasting my time going to a lecture or reading anything to do with Islam?
- Why is it I know everything to know about Paris Hilton, Angelina Jolie, & countless other fluffies yet I wouldn't be able to tell you a single thing about The Companions or Sahabas (even their names!)?!
Istaqfurullah.
Labels: Reflection
4 Comments:
At June 11, 2007 at 5:31 p.m. ,
Hopeless Dreamer said...
salaam,
first of all,Stop beating yourself about it,,alot of us do the same, and trust me where you are staying has a lot to do with how u r now..!!the most important part here iz::having the will the change, and making an effort ,a real effort...to change ur old habits(for the record i do sum of the things u've mentioned earlier, and i'm not being a hypocrite giving u an advice that i my self don't follow, but most of the things i have(memorizing the quran,knowing many things about al9a7aba comes from where i live ,how i was taught in school, the religious groups around the corner i went to while growing up...ok..this is a long replay. I know. I just took ur words to heart..
u have time inahalllah:)just try to take advantage of every moment u have left..
At June 11, 2007 at 9:48 p.m. ,
Anonymous said...
Because you're human. Perhaps I can share some reflections on number 1. The Quran (unlike what we may have been taught) is not a book to be read or finished and credit is given. In my opinion, it is not even a book to listen to the lyrical voices of his sheikh reader. It is alive and you must read what you can of it when you can. It will speak to you differently when poor than when rich, when young or middle aged, when healthy or (god forbid) ill. Keep reading all the other books that you can, your growth and depth as a person grows with your knowledge of the world and yourself. Then pick up the Quran and see its words come alive and be as relevant to you in your 20s as it will be in your 70s.
At June 12, 2007 at 5:27 a.m. ,
Anonymous said...
Just blame on the Shaytaaan nooh.
Reasling these is the first step sis and one step at a time.
At June 12, 2007 at 6:08 a.m. ,
Anonymous said...
Realizing what you are doing wrong is the first step to rectifying it. As Aya said...the Quran is not a book to read and finish it is something to base your life on. You don't just read the Quran for the sake of reading...u read it coz it speaks to u, touches u, makes u contemplate, educates you, humbles.
Dreamer...take it one step at a time. Allah loves consistency.
May Allah make this journey easier for you walaalo...ameen
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home