Musings of a Lonesome Dreamer

I can show you morning on a thousand hills...

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Crazy, crazy week

My mother’s brother, his wife and three adorable children are with us for a week from Norway and I’m in my room hiding from the 1 and 2 year old…they’re so much work and have so much energy for such little bodies. The house is in chaos when combined with the craziness of my two younger siblings. A three bedroom house with 5 children under 11 and 6 adults - sometimes it’s really really fun and other times it’s crazy. It’s okay though - love conquers all. I’m head over heels in love with the baby - he has the fattest cheeks and 8 small teeth so that when he laugh, you can’t help but laugh back. I’ve stopped myself from eating him several times…he’s that cute.

I’m now holed up in my room, trying to make as little noise as possible in the hope that they lose interest in looking for me and leave me to breathe in peace for 5 mins - they wake me early in the mornings and I have to run after them all day. I’m trying to give a break to the parents. I love love kids and I always thought that I would have a big family one day - 8-10 kids. Seriously. But now, my eyes have been opened and I think I’m satisfied with with one or two. Maybe three or four. Oh what the hell…make it eight and a live in nanny. Mothering is the hardest job in the entire world…I don’t care if your a rocket scientist or the President of the United States of America (maybe not a good example…any person on the street can do a better job…but I digress)…as I was saying…doesn’t matter what degrees who have on the wall and how many ulcers your job has given you…unless you have laboured for hours to give birth to children who will surely annoy you and make you run after them for their rest of their lives…you don’t know the meaning of real hard work.

Sigh.

Another revelation that I had this week - I used to think that I would be a stay at home mom. I still do to some degree - I want to be home with my child until he/she starts preschool and work around the times they’re away. But now I’m not working or going to school - it’s been such a pain in the ass to look for work honestly. I thought in the summer they would be practically begging and some are but although I do get the interviews…I’m never called back or hired. I’m trying very hard not to give up and use the race or religion card but it’s getting very frustrating…how can you call someone for a job saying that you need people and when you interview them….don’t call back? Especially when what I’m looking for are entry level, low wage jobs? HMPH. Anyway the point is that not going to work or school and neither volunteering these past 3 months really made be angry,bored, frustrated, useless and just so damn moody and tired. I can’t imagine staying home after this - taking care of my cousins made me realise that I love children but indefinitely staying home is not something that is either good for me or my family. It’s going to make me lose my sanity and as the saying goes ‘if mamma ain’t happy…ain’t nobody happy’.

With that long rambling - I’d like to say I deeply admire stay at home moms, they have my respect and the same goes for women who can successfully juggle work, home, and kids.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home